Composite decking is the premier deck material for the 21st century. Not only does it boast a gorgeous look available in a wide spectrum of colors, but it lasts a lifetime, requiring little maintenance on your part. While the upsides are widely known, there’s one question that we often hear from homeowners: “Does composite decking get hot?”
We totally understand composite decking temperature concerns — after all, your deck is going to spend a bit of time in the direct sunlight.
So, does composite decking get hot in direct sunlight?
While early composite decks were very sensitive to temperature and did get notoriously hot, any new composite decking will be much more resistant to heat. High-quality modern composite boards don’t become hotter than traditional wooden deck boards. In addition, the lighter the color of the composite deck boards that you choose, the cooler they will stay in direct sunlight.
Keep reading for answers to more composite deck questions answered by your expert deck builder.
5 Essential Composite Decking FAQs
Composite decking has essentially replaced both wood and vinyl as the premier material for most new deck installations. It has the upscale look homeowners crave, has a legendary lifespan, and never needs stained or painted as wooden decks do.
However, a new deck is a big purchase, and homeowners want to know everything they can. By far the most common question is definitely about whether or not composite decking gets hot in direct sunlight — however, we’ve heard other questions and we’re here to help answer them.
- Is composite decking really maintenance-free? — Composite decking is completely immune to the rot and mold that destroy most wooden decks. As a result, composite decks don’t need to be re-sealed or re-stained every year to keep the damage at bay. While composite doesn’t require any super-involved or time-consuming maintenance, you’ll still want to keep it clean, so the occasional sweep or wash down may be necessary to keep your deck looking great. Learn more about wood vs. composite decks.
- Can I paint my composite deck? — NO! Painting a composite deck would cause serious damage. Although the composite boards have the look of wood, they aren’t! Since composite decks don’t lose their color over time, you won’t need to worry about painting them to keep them looking fresh — they remain beautiful on their own.
- How do you clean composite decking? — Once again, composite means easy. All you really need to do to keep a composite deck clean is to sweep off debris and hose off dirt. You don’t need to — and shouldn’t ever — use harsh cleaning chemicals on your composite deck. Water (and sometimes a mild soap) will do the trick.
- How to remove snow from composite decking? — Since composite deck boards are water repellent, you don’t need to worry about moisture kick-starting mold growth. However, you’ll want to be careful clearing the winter weather off your deck. Use a soft-edged shovel or a broom to remove snow from your deck — a metal edged shovel can actually scratch and cut the deck boards. Learn more about how to remove snow and ice from composite.
- Are composite decks slippery? — This is a misconception. While composite decks are not slippery in texture, vinyl or PVC decks have been reported to have a slick or slippery feel. If you have any other questions, the best way to get answers is to ask. Give us a call, send us an email, or chat with us right now.
Ways to Reduce Composite Decking Temperature Issues
While modern composite decks aren’t susceptible to temperature issues, there are still a few things you can do to keep your outdoor living space cool on even the hottest summer days.
To keep the texture of your deck even cooler when it’s sitting in the direct sunlight, you can choose a lighter shade of color. We offer a wide selection of deck colors in all hues — see more deck choices and popular deck color schemes.
Another key way to keep cool? Make sure you have a space for shade. Whether that’s a pergola or a covered porch, many great outdoor living spaces include a way to get out of the sun, while still enjoying the serenity of the outdoors.
Composite Decking Experts Serving PA, NY, & More
Whether you’re ready to get your quote on the composite deck of your dreams or you still have questions, Keystone Custom Decks is here to help. We’re a luxury deck builder specializing in creating dream-come-true spaces with composite as our base.